Truck Accident Lawyer Houston
Call Today to Schedule a Free Consultation!
Compared to other car accidents, truck accidents often result in more life-threatening and catastrophic injuries. The massive weight and size of commercial trucks pose a huge danger to other drivers, while at the same time insulating the truck driver from serious harm in an accident. Contact our truck accident lawyer in Houston today if you’ve been injured.
For this reason, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has established a number of federal truck regulations for trucking companies and drivers to follow, such as:
- Mandatory rest breaks
- Adherence to loading restrictions and carefully secured cargo
- Proper training for drivers
- Regular vehicle maintenance
- Mileage limitations
- Completion of vehicle inspection reports before and after each trip
Unfortunately, not all truck drivers follow these regulations, resulting in accidents that cause severe damage to other vehicles.
The Faster We Get Started, The Better It Is For You!
Mere hours after the accident, physical evidence like skid marks and scuffs will begin to disappear from the scene, especially once police barriers have been removed. Before evidence has all but eroded, you should contact our attorneys.
We will make sure to collect any necessary evidence that could prove the truck driver was at fault. The sooner you hire a truck accident lawyer, the sooner we can get started on your case.
What Are the Common Causes of Trucking Accidents in Houston?
While commercial truck drivers are often very skilled and patient drivers, they are still subject to making mistakes. Unfortunately, because of the size and weight of their vehicles, any mistake can be fatal.
Therefore, drivers have to be particularly careful so they are not negligent and subsequently the cause of someone’s injury or death.
Here are six examples of common truck accident causes:
- Driving while tired
- Speeding to make deadlines
- Reckless or intoxicated driving
- Overloading cargo
- Poor maintenance
- Defective auto parts
Getting into an accident with a big truck can be a stressful and potentially dangerous situation. Here are five important steps to take immediately after such an accident:
- Ensure Safety: Prioritize safety above all else. Move your vehicle to a safe location if possible, away from traffic lanes and any potential hazards. Turn on hazard lights and use flares or reflective markers if available.
- Check for Injuries: Check yourself, passengers in your vehicle, and occupants of the truck for injuries. If anyone is injured, call for emergency medical assistance immediately.
- Contact Authorities: Call the police to report the accident, regardless of its severity. Having an official police report can be crucial for insurance claims and legal proceedings. Provide accurate details about the location and any injuries.
- Exchange Information: Exchange information with the truck driver, including names, contact information, license plate numbers, insurance information, and the trucking company’s name. Also, gather contact information from any witnesses present.
- Document the Scene: Use your smartphone or a camera to take photos of the accident scene from various angles. Capture the damage to both vehicles, skid marks, road conditions, and any relevant traffic signs or signals. This visual evidence can be helpful when dealing with insurance companies and legal matters.
- Call our experience truck accident lawyer in Houston ASAP for a free case review. The sooner you call the better off you’ll be.
It’s worth noting that accidents involving big trucks can be more complex due to the potential for severe injuries and greater property damage. Additionally, trucking companies often have their own procedures for handling accidents. It’s advisable to consult an attorney who specializes in accidents involving commercial vehicles to ensure your rights are protected and you receive appropriate compensation if necessary. Remember to stay calm, remain courteous, and avoid making any statements that could be construed as admitting fault, as this could impact your ability to file a claim later on.
Truck Accident Statistics For the Houston Metro Area
Houston is an important commercial hub for the trucking industry. An unfortunately high number of trucking accidents occur around the city.
In Harris, Ford Bend, and Montgomery Counties alone, more than 4,600 trucking accidents occurred in 2012, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. Of these numbers, 1,985 people were injured as a result, and an additional 33 people were killed.
The Cox Pradia Law Firm, P.L.L.C. Protects Truck Accident Injury Victims
If you or someone you love has been hurt in a trucking or car accident, discuss your case with an experienced and knowledgeable truck accident lawyer from our law firm here in Houston.
We are dedicated to our clients and we are passionate about protecting the rights of injury victims throughout the state of Texas. With more than three decades of the collective experience and a dedication to the best interests of our clients, we are uniquely equipped to look out for your future.