Houston Slip and Fall Lawyer
Discuss Your Case With Our Personal Injury Lawyers
Slip and fall accidents can cause serious harm. From broken bones to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), recovering from a bad fall can be a long, painful, and expensive process.
If you or your loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, or because of another party’s negligence, that person could be held liable for your injury. A Houston slip and fall attorney from The Cox Pradia Law Firm, P.L.L.C. can help you.
Contact us online or call us to schedule a free initial case evaluation with our experienced slip and fall lawyer.
Premises Liability in Texas
Many slip and fall accidents are the foundation for premises liability cases. Dangerous conditions on a person’s property may have led to or caused your accident. Understanding your basic rights under premises liability law is key to taking the necessary action to protect your future.
Premises liability laws protect individuals who have been injured on another person’s property due to dangerous conditions caused by a property owner’s neglect. Not every injury that occurs outside of your home is a premises liability case, such as in instances of trespassing.
If, however, the place where your injury occurred had fallen into serious disrepair and the owner did not correct the damage, or at the very least, warn visitors of the danger, then he or she may be liable for your slip and fall injury. Contact our experienced slip and fall lawyer today for a free case review on your slip and fall injury.
What your Houston Slip and Fall Lawyer will do for You
A slip and fall lawyer, also known as a premises liability lawyer, specializes in handling legal cases related to personal injuries that occur due to hazardous or unsafe conditions on someone else’s property. Here’s what a slip and fall lawyer typically does:
- Client Consultation: A slip and fall lawyer begins by meeting with the client to gather details about the incident. They listen to the client’s account of the accident, assess the injuries sustained, and understand the circumstances surrounding the slip and fall.
- Investigation: The lawyer investigates the accident thoroughly. This might involve visiting the accident site, examining the conditions that contributed to the slip and fall, gathering evidence such as photographs, video footage, witness statements, and reviewing any available incident reports.
- Legal Analysis: The lawyer evaluates whether the property owner, manager, or another party might be liable for the accident. They assess whether negligence, inadequate maintenance, improper warning signs, or other factors played a role in causing the slip and fall.
- Determining Liability: Based on the investigation, the lawyer determines who might be legally responsible for the accident. This could be the property owner, tenant, business owner, or even a maintenance company, depending on the circumstances.
- Legal Strategy: The lawyer develops a legal strategy tailored to the specific case. They might negotiate with the property owner’s insurance company to reach a settlement, or if necessary, they will prepare to file a lawsuit.
- Filing a Lawsuit: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, the slip and fall lawyer prepares and files a lawsuit on behalf of the injured party. They ensure that all legal documents are properly filed and deadlines are met.
- Negotiation and Settlement: Often, the lawyer engages in negotiations with the responsible party’s legal representatives or insurance company. They aim to secure a fair settlement that covers the client’s medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Litigation: If negotiations do not lead to a satisfactory resolution, the lawyer proceeds with litigation. This involves presenting the case in court, representing the client’s interests during hearings, trial, and any necessary appeals.
- Advocacy in Court: During court proceedings, the lawyer presents evidence, examines witnesses, cross-examines opposing witnesses, and argues the case before a judge or jury.
- Client Support: Throughout the process, the lawyer provides guidance, updates, and legal advice to the client. They work to ensure that the client’s rights are protected and that they receive fair compensation for their injuries and losses.
Slip and fall lawyers play a crucial role in helping individuals who have suffered injuries due to unsafe property conditions to pursue compensation and justice from those responsible for maintaining safe premises.
What Are Considered Dangerous Property Conditions?
Dangerous property conditions include:
- Broken or missing railings
- Icy sidewalks
- Wet floors
- Missing steps
- Insufficient lighting
- Unfilled pits or holes
- Stumbling blocks
How Long Do I Have to File a Slip & Fall Injury Claim?
In many slip & fall cases, the injured party may not know the full extent of their injuries for days or weeks following the accident. According to Texas Code § 16.003, you have two years from the date you were injured or in some cases, the date you discovered your injury to file a claim and find a slip and fall lawyer.
What If The Statute of Limitations Has Run Out?
If the statute of limitations ends before you file a claim you will lose you right to do so. There are some exceptions that can change this two-year time period so it’s important to speak to an attorney about your case as soon as possible. The statute of limitations can be a complex topic, call our firm today to learn how this law may affect your case.
Contact The Cox Pradia Law Firm, P.L.L.C. for a Free Consultation. Our slip and fall lawyers are here for you.
Other slip and fall injuries may involve nursing home negligence or medical malpractice. Hospitals and long-term care facilities are required to provide proper safety measures to ensure the well-being of elderly or disabled patients. With more than 40 years of combined experience, we can help you protect your future.
Injured in a slip & fall accident? Contact The Cox Pradia Law Firm, P.L.L.C. to schedule a free initial case evaluation today.